There is an abundance of damsons at this time of year and they are a really underused ingredient. They're great in preserves, jam, chutney and gin but one of our favourites has to be a damson parfait.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 600g damsons
- 100g caster sugar
- 25g liquid glucose
- 2 egg whites
- Start by making the damson puree. To do this, stew down the damsons in a large pan until soft. Once soft pass, through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- Heat the sugar and the glucose with a splash of water to 116'C.
- Whist the sugar is heating up, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks using a stand mixer.
- When the sugar is up to 116'C, quickly pour it into the egg whites whilst continually whisking until you've added all the sugar.
- Carefully fold the egg mixture into the damson puree, reserving some of the puree to finish the dish.
- Pour into a mould or tray and set in the freezer for 3 hours.
- Serve on a biscuit with whipped cream or ice cream, toasted hazelnuts, herbs (we used hyssop and mint) and the left over puree.
Words (C) 2019, Little Seeds. Photos (C) 2019, Matthew Owen.